Grace Mugabe's assault case still on South African court roll

Grace Mugabe's assault case still on South African court roll

- In the event of asylum being granted, the assault case against Grace Mugabe must stand

- However, thus far there has been no indication that the Mugabe family has requested asylum

- The ANC finally broke their silence regarding events that unfolded in Zimbabwe

Grace Mugabe's assault case still on South African court roll

Grace Mugabe's assault case still on South African court roll

READ ALSO: Mugabe granted immunity, will be staying in Zimbabwe says source

The Mugabe family might have immunity back in Zimbabwe, but they won’t be so lucky in South Africa.

The assault case against Grace Mugabe will stand even if the family apply for political or refugee status in South Africa.

Gabriella Engels, who is connected to one of Grace’s sons, claimed the former first lady whipped her with an extension cord.

The alleged incident took place in a luxurious hotel room back in August, while Engels and two of her friends waited on Chatunga Mugabe.

However, Grace is the victim in her version of the episode. She claims Engels attacked her with a knife and she was only protecting herself.

According to Deputy Minister for International Relations and Co-operation (Dirco) Luwellyn Landers, no attempt had been made by either Grace or her husband to request asylum.

In the event that asylum is granted, Landers maintains that Grace's case stay on the court roll.

According to Landers, the country’s courts were “fiercely” independent and granting asylum should have no effect on any pending case.

AfriForum is seeking private legal action against Grace, who left the country after being granted immunity by Dirco.

Landers said in conference with the international relations portfolio committee, that presently there is a lack of information that indicates a request for asylum by Mugabe and his family.

Meanwhile, the ANC spoke about the military intervention in Zimbabwe, which they described as a coup.

The ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe said on Wednesday that Mugabe’s political downfall followed the displacement of a government arranged by the military - a coup.

Briefly.co.za gathered from IOL that Mantashe said the ANC had kept quiet on the Zimbabwean crisis as there was little information coming out of the country.

Mantashe said the ANC was silent throughout the situation in Zimbabwe, because of the lack of information from the country.

READ ALSO: Black and white unite: 2 colleagues perform 'Sister Bethina' at year-end function

According to Mantashe the ANC will continue to respect Mugabe for the role he played as a freedom fighter over the past decades.

He maintained that people must continue to support him for advocating Africa’s development programme and celebrate him as a pan-Africanist.

Mantashe praised the self-control Zimbabwean citizens exercised during the demand for Mugabe’s removal.

“Our view is that the fact that there was no obvious loss of life, damage to property, there were peaceful protests - to us it’s quite reassuring. We are hoping that our comrades in Zimbabwe will rebuild Zimbabwe to its former self,” he said.

Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.

Source: Politics.briefly.co.za

Related news
Behold, the chaos that is Zuma's Fee Free Promise!

Behold, the chaos that is Zuma's Fee Free Promise!

Behold, the chaos that is Zuma's Fee Free Promise!
Briefly.co.za